The 5th Annual Hunahpu’s Day® Release Party is set for Saturday, March 8th, 2014 at Cigar City Brewing. This will also be the 3nd time Hunahpu’s Day® has been featured for Tampa Bay Beer Week. Check out the tap list here: tinyurl.com/hdaytaplist
>> HUNAHPU’S DAY IS COMPLETELY SOLD OUT <<
In Mayan mythology, Hun Hunahpu was the father of the Mayan hero twins Hunahpu and Xbalanque. Hun Hunahpu, along with his brother Vucub Hunahpu, was tricked by the Dark Lords of the underworld and slain. Hun Hunahpu’s corpse morphed into a cacao tree, his head becoming a cacao pod, which in typically awesome mythology fashion, spit upon the hand of a young maiden named Xiquic who promptly became pregnant with the hero twins. The twins would ultimately grow up to avenge their father and uncle and defeat the Dark Lords and ascend to the heavens to become the moon and sun.
We brew Hunahpu’s® Imperial Stout once a year and release it only at the brewery. We will continue to do so until the end of the cycle.
“Pours extremely dark in color with a brown head with notes of big chocolate and espresso, moderate notes of vanilla and cinnamon and a mild tinge of tobacco and chilis. The flavor opens with a big blast of chocolate and moderate espresso with elements of dark toffee and interjecting threads of vanilla with lingering hints of cinnamon and tobacco and chillies notes with a mild scoville heat in the finish.”
-Head Brewer Wayne Wambles
2009 Atlanta Cask Ale Tasting – 1st Place
2010 United States Beer Open Championship – Gold Medal
2010 Best Florida Beer Championship – Gold Medal
2010 Best Florida Beer Championship – 1st Place, Best in Show
2011 United States Open Beer Championship – Gold Medal
2012 Beverage Testing Institute World Beer Championships – Platinum Medal
March 8th, 2014 is Hunahpu’s Day®. Here are some important details:
>> Tickets to Hunahpu’s Day have sold out. <<
UPDATE: MARCH 4TH
Just wanted to lay out a few more things for Hunahpu’s Day. It’s right around the corner and we’re all pretty pumped. The beer list has grown to over 200 beers from over 45 breweries.
· FRIDAY: The brewery is always busy on Friday before Hunahpu’s Day. This year we expect the same. However, because we are going to be prepping for the following day, our parking lot at the brewery will be completely shut down for the entire day. There is a parking lot across the street on Spruce, indicated by the sign saying “CCB Overflow Parking” that is always open to the public.
· TICKETS: Unlike in years past, this is a ticketed event, and tickets have completely sold out. If you do not have a ticket, you will not be allowed to entered the fest. At 5:00pm, the tasting room will open as normal to the public, ticket or not.
· PARKING: The aforementioned parking lot across the street will be the main area to park on Hunahpu’s Day as the brewery will have no spots available. There is also the IRS Building at 3848 W Columbus Drive, less than a mile walk from the brewery, that will be open. PLUS, the The Brew Bus – Tampa Bay will be offering a shuttle service all day from 10:30am-6:00pm from the IRS Building to the brewery! There are also a few other businesses in the area that will be offering event parking. Check around the corner of Spruce and Lois. However, and again we’re very strong on this, please do not park at Target/Home Deport/Whole Foods/etc. for Hunahpu’s Day.
· BOTTLE SHARES: It’s always been a tradition for the beer geeks to bring bottles of awesome beers and share them with other attendees (and employees, wink wink). We definitely don’t have an issue with that. HOWEVER, we must stress that it is ESSENTIAL that if you are going to do that, you cannot open any bottles before 11:00am on our property. The simple fact is that our parking lot is only open for the consumption of alcohol from 11:00am to 5:00pm. If we catch you drinking beer before 11:00am, we will have to ask you to leave the premises. Let’s not let that happen! Wait till 11:00am!
· LINING UP: Please don’t line up super early. There just isn’t really a point. If you do choose to come early, we will let you onto the property to avoid long lines interfering with our neighbors. However, you will not be allowed to drink and you may wind up getting in the way of preparation. We advise everyone to be fashionably late!
·MONEY MONEY MONEY: All bottle sales (which start at 11:00am on the dot) will be cash only. All merch and other stuff we may be selling will also be cash only. There will be an ATM available for those forgetful folks. The food trucks will be operating on their own accord so they may take both cash and credit.
· LEAVING THE FEST: If you’d like to leave the fest at any time to drop off bottles in your car, you may do so. You will have a wristband on for reentry. Also, backpacks, coolers, etc are allowed to carry any bottles you may have.
As mentioned in an earlier post, this year’s format will be similar to a beerfest, and as such we are charging admission to enter and sample unlimited beers.
Q: What time does everything happen?
A: The fest officially starts at 11:00am and ends at 5:00pm. All tickets should be sold by then so hopefully that will sway folks from lining up and making our neighbors happy!
Q: Will there be designated driver tickets available?
A: There will not be. The reason is because we have a hard cap of people who can be on our property. That applies to drinkers and non-drinkers alike. We want to save tickets for folks who want to drink beer and partake in the festivities.
Q: Can I bring my kids?
A: No one under 21 is allowed, including small babies.
A: The brewery parking lot will be closed for the fest, however there is parking across the street in the old Sears/Roebuck building. A large signing saying “Cigar City Overflow Parking” is quite visible from the street. If that lot is full, some of the businesses in the area will be charging a small fee to park there. However we beg and plead with you not to park in the neighborhood or at Target/Home Depot/Whole Foods. We love our neighbors and don’t want to dust up any guff!
Q: What about the tasting room?
A: The tasting room will be completely closed during Hunahpu’s Day and will open again after the fest ends.
Q: Bottle sales! I wanna know everything about them, friend!
A: Bottles will go on sale as soon as the fest starts at 11:00am and be available for all festgoers throughout the day. They are $20 per bottle, cash only. There is a 3 bottle limit of Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout from 11am-4pm for all attendees. Starting at 4pm we will open it up to a one case (12 bottle) limit per person for all attendees on a first-come first-serve basis. If there are any bottles left remaining after the fest, we will sell them to the general public at a time to be determined, however for now the ONLY guaranteed way you can purchase bottles of Hunahpu’s is to get a ticket to the fest.
Q: Food? I like food?
A: There will be a bunch of food trucks this year, as we’re working with Tampa Bay Food Truck Rally again. Food is not included in the ticket price however and they will be charging separately.
Q: Is there a sample glass?
A: Yep, there is going to be a special Hunahpu’s Day sample glass available to every attendee and you will be able to purchase additional ones as well.
Q: Okay, let’s get to the nitty gritty: what kinda awesome beers can we expect?
A: We are still hammering out all the deets but you can expect to see a lot of cool vintage beers from us, barrel-aged beers, unique treatments, favorites from long ago…and more! We’ve already had a few awesome breweries confirm they will be in attendance and serving their own beer so it’s going to be a hell of a time.
Q: Can I bring in bottles/cans of beer to drink and share with others?
A: Yes sir or ma’am, you are able to do that as always.
A: Well-behaved leashed dogs are welcome to attend and hang out.
- The Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore has a discount code for booking:
- Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore: Click here to reserve. (0.5mi from brewery)
- Delta Swamp Rats Cigar Box Blues: 11:00am-12:30pm
- Cook Trio: 12:30pm-2pm
- The New Rulers: 2:30pm-5pm